Insurance Carriers Offer Different Packages, Which Roadside Package Should You Choose?
We all hope that we’ll never need roadside assistance, but life happens! So you’re buying an auto insurance policy and have the option to select roadside assistance. But is it the best for your situation? Not all insurance companies provide the same Missouri Auto Insurance Roadside Assistance options. Each carrier offers their own package and this article explains the pros and cons of roadside assistance options from different carriers.
This article outlines general policy descriptions to help you understand the different types of Missouri Auto Insurance Roadside Assistance options. They are not intended to modify any provisions in any contract of insurance. Example of Roadside Assistance options include, but are not limited to the following:
- Towing – not all Roadside Assistance plans are open 24/7.
- Tire Changes – may require that you have the spare tire.
- Lockouts – open car door or replace the lock for a nominal fee that is not included.
- Lost-key Replacement – only if the key can be made at the time of service.
- Fuel Delivery – up to a set number of gallons. A lot of times we see up to 1 gallon of gas.
- Jump Start Battery Service – free battery test and jump start to get you to the closest garage or your destination.
- Minor Roadside Repairs – at the site of disablement; e.g., loose hose connection, reattach loose parts.
- Trip Interruption – pays for overnight stay and food if you are stranded while your vehicle is being repaired.
Some plans offer extras:
- Roadside assistance when you’re on your bicycle.
- Discounts for drivers who own hybrid cars.
- Coverage for redoing any repair that fails within six months or 6,000 miles.
- Reimbursement for services you arrange on your own.
- Coverage for rental car breakdowns.
- Coverage for you, your spouse, and children under 21 living at home.
Additionally, different carriers offer different pricing tiers. Some providers offer a yearly membership plan and some carriers have a pay-per-use roadside service option. Pay-per use roadside assistance is typically billed at a higher rate than an annual plan or option in your auto insurance policy. Average price for pay-per-use ranges between $59 for non-tow services and $129 for towing service, and some carriers restrict the number of tows per year.
When you are researching Missouri Auto Insurance Roadside Assistance options, be sure to ask about the number of miles included in the towing service. Some carriers offer up to 200 miles of towing, while some carriers charge $75 for only 50 miles. Furthermore, some towing companies may tow you to a location of your choosing, while others take you to the closest repair shop. If your Missouri Auto Insurance Roadside Assistance coverage lets you choose your towing destination, find out if you will be charged if you exceed mileage limits.
Generally, tow truck drivers are contracted by the insurance company. The insurance provider may exclude liability for any damage, injury or loss resulting from the negligence of the independent service facility. Independent contractors are solely responsible for their actions. Any arrangements made between the towing company and the insured is considered outside of the covered services and are not covered by the insurance company.
There are many restrictions to Missouri Auto Insurance Roadside Assistance services. Some of them are noted below; however, each carrier is different. Just be sure to ask your agent what services are restricted in your auto insurance policy.
- Service on taxis, buses, moving trucks, limousines or step.
- Service to unregistered vehicles that are not legally driveable.
- Services to vehicles which the service provider has determined to be unsafe.
- Service to a vehicle which is snowbound.
- Service on a vehicle to which a plow is attached.
- Service to an unattended vehicle.
- Service for a vehicle located at a repair facility.
- Removal of a vehicle from a closed repair facility.
- Limited number of tows per disablement.
- Requests to tow a vehicle from the street to the driveway.
- Tire service for dual-rear wheel trucks or vans.
- Towing of utility trailers attached to a covered vehicle.
- Towing not related to an accident.
- Delivery of diesel fuel.
- No coverage for towing as a result of flood or fire.
An example of a particular restriction we found with an insurance carrier is given below:
Trip Interruption expense reimbursement qualifications: Your vehicle must be involved in an accident in the United States or Canada, 200 miles or more from home, while on a trip planned to include at least 1 overnight stay and, due to the accident, your vehicle must be inoperable for a minimum of eight hours.
When we breakdown or need roadside assistance, we don’t have time to think about the
restrictions… Am I far enough away from home? … Will my vehicle be repaired in less than 8 hours? … How far will the tow truck driver take me?
Consult with our professional agents to determine which package is best for you. Some auto insurers consider calls for roadside assistance to be negatives, just like accident claims. We can help you choose a plan with the most generous towing allowance and trip-interruption benefits.
Give us a call today and we will review your Missouri Auto Insurance policy at no charge. Click here to contact us or call our office at (314) 645-2100.
Why Choose MJM Insurance of St Louis City?
MJM Insurance® of St Louis City is a full service Independent Insurance Agency representing many of Missouri’s premier personal and commercial insurance carriers. We assess risks and shop for companies to find the best coverage for the lowest price. With a combined experience of over 60 years in the St Louis Missouri insurance industry, our agents are knowledgeable and competent specializing in auto, home, renters, boat, motorcycle, business automobile, workers compensation, and general liability.
We serve all of Saint Louis City and County including Affton, Shrewsbury, Maplewood, Crestwood, St Louis Hills, Central West End, University City, and Clayton. Our professional insurance agents at MJM Insurance® of St Louis City can help you get the best value for your fundamental insurance needs.
We proudly represent many of the industry’s leading national and regional insurance companies offering competitive rates through Travelers, Safeco, EMC, Columbia Mutual, Kemper Preferred, Madison Mutual, Progressive, The Hartford, West Bend, Chubb and dozens more.
For our clients’ convenience, our agents are available for after hours appointments and Saturdays. Our normal office hours are Monday – Friday from 9am to 6pm. We are dedicated to providing the most exceptional and timely customer service in the industry.